9 Ways To Fake a Good Night’s Beauty Sleep
Remember sleep? You know, that beautiful, magical state of not being awake? That peaceful place of serene slumber and quiet tranquility. That wonderful world where the subconscious unravels itself into decadent dreams. Oh, sleep… You are my spirit animal.
Needless to say, whether you’re the mother of a colicky newborn, early rising toddler, or troublesome teen, a restful eight-hour chunk of shuteye is an anomaly, a rarity, and an entirely elusive endeavor once you become a mother. Sleep, you’re more than my spirit animal. You’re my unicorn—and I will continue to chase you until the day my kids decide to sleep past 7. Dreams really do come true—once you’re asleep long enough to actually fulfill them.
Alas, until that happy morning arrives, I’ll continue to make the most of the four-to-five hours of “beauty sleep” I actually do get each night with the help of my trusted skincare arsenal. (And, yes, I’ll cheat my way to looking well-rested with a few favorite primping products too.) Then all I have to do is throw back a pot of coffee at 6 AM and I’m unstoppable… until bedtime.
In the meantime, here are some amazing products and glamorizing goodies to help you maximize your minimal snooze time and look and feel as perky as a pup. Whether you’re pulling an all-nighter for old time’s sake (bless your heart), up round-the-clock with a fussy newborn, or binging on Netflix till dawn (been there), I’m here with this morning’s beauty wake-up call—as well as a few tips, tricks, hacks, and tools… Because, sleep is for the weak. Or, you know, the childless.
1. Kiehl’s Eye Alert, $23: A mix of skin-nourishing vitamins and caffeine give this cooling eye treatment its energizing edge.
2. First Aid Beauty Vitamin Hydrating Mist, $16: Sallow skin is a dead giveaway—you haven’t been getting enough sleep! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate on the go-go-go with this vitamin-rich portable misting spray. It awakens the complexion with its unique mix of vitamins and antioxidants, as well as an invigorating citrus-herb blend.
3. Quay Australia My Girl Cat Eye Sunglasses, $50: When nothing can keep the puffiness, dark circles, and bags at bay, turn to a trusty pair of chic shades. (The kids will never know you’re sleeping through their ballet recital.)
4. iluminage Sleeping Beauty Deluxe Set, $99: Your sleep might not be plentiful, but it can be luxurious. This silky pillowcase and eye mask feature copper ions, which help to promote healthy, smooth, and younger-looking skin.
5. Frank Body Scrub, $15: Start the day with this energizing scrub, which features roasted and ground coffee beans, hydrating cold-pressed almond oil, antioxidant-rich Vitamin E, and exfoliating sea salt. (So good, you’ll want to eat it.)
6. James Read Sleep Mask Tan, $38: Apply this clear non-staining formula before bed—it can give your skin a subtle golden glow in just two hours. Plus, it’s infused with aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, red algae, and cucumber for a moisture-rich, smooth finish.
7. Yves Saint Laurent Touché Éclat, $42: Eradicate the telltale signs of under-eye and facial fatigue with this illuminating concealer pen. A few clicks and strokes can truly work wonders.
8. Surratt Beauty Relevée Lash Curler, $30: This baby is going to be your new best friend. It elongates and fans lashes without causing damage. One quick curl and your eyes will look wider and more open, alert, and awake. Add a coat of mascara and you’ll look good as new.
9. Bliss Fat Girl Sleep, $38: Formulated with soothing lavender (as if you needed help nodding off!), lotus flower, and red-algae extract, this cream promotes restful sleep and works while you zzzz…